Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Humility and Obedience: The way of the Cross, pt. 1

A Tale of Two Attitudes...

Your attitude stinks!  You need an attitude check Mr.!  Watch your attitude!  Don't give me any attitude!  That boy's got some attitude!  I don't like you attitude!

He's got a great attitude considering...!  He's demonstrated a great attitude in class this year!   Performance review: Demonstrates a great attitude and a hard worker!  Always has a positive attitude...!  Never a complainer and always a great attitude!

Attitude reflects our outlook and heart.  If we have a positive outlook on...whatever... we usually demonstrate a positive attitude.  We're cooperative; don't complain; try to be helpful; try to encourage others; etc.  Our heart is in the right place - a place of humility and service which requires obedience.  We're not out to please ourselves or serve ourselves.  We're not selfish or self-absorbed.  We're focused on the good of others!

So Paul (Philippians 2:5) has the audacity to say that we should always have the same attitude as that of Christ Jesus.

Never complaining...
               Always serving...
                                              Completely humble...
                                                                                             Obedient without hesitation...

Ouch!  Is that really possible?  My excuse is, "Well...Jesus is God after all!  He is perfect!  And I am most definitely not!  God doesn't expect me to be perfect after all!"

No he doesn't!  Or does he?  Scripture does say, "Be holy as I am holy!"  "Be perfect as my heavenly father is perfect!"

What?  Hang on a second!  Perfection?  Not possible this side of heaven!  HELLO!!!!

I won't be...because I am a sinner...I can be because I have a Savior!

The potential is there...unfortunately...my attitude gets in the way.

Help me Jesus to live out the reality of verse 5, "In your lives you must THINK and ACT like Christ Jesus." (NCV)

No comments: