Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Rules or Relationship?

 20 You have died with Christ, and he has set you free from the spiritual powers of this world. So why do you keep on following the rules of the world, such as, 21 “Don’t handle! Don’t taste! Don’t touch!”? 22 Such rules are mere human teachings about things that deteriorate as we use them. 23 These rules may seem wise because they require strong devotion, pious self-denial, and severe bodily discipline. But they provide no help in conquering a person’s evil desires. Colossians 2:20-23 (NLT)

What is holiness?  Is it adherence to a rigid set of rules?  Rules that are designed to tell you what is right and wrong!  Or is it searching out the Scriptures to discover how God wants you to live and then having such close, intimate fellowship with the Holy Spirit that you allow the Spirit of God to guide your thoughts and actions?

I grew up in an era of legalism: don't go to movies, don't play cards, don't smoke or drink.  Why?  Because it broke the rules.  Did those rules make me holy?  Not at all!  They frustrated me and made me resentful.  When I search the Scriptures I don't find injunctions against those activities, but I do find that I am called to fill my mind with the Word of God and my heart with the love of God and be led by the Spirit of God.  Did those rules prevent me from going to movies?  No!  Does the fellowship with the Spirit and the need for that intimacy with God cause me to say no to certain movies or other activities?  Yes!  Does my relationship with Christ make me holy, yes.  He makes me holy!  My relationship with Christ shows me the parameters and the Spirit of God guides me in and around those parameters.  The rules bound me; my fellowship with the Holy Spirit frees me to be all that God intends for me to be.

God knew that the power of relationship would be greater than the power of rules.  The old adage, "rules are made to be broken" proves that point.  But when I am in a relationship with someone that I love then I go out of my way to find ways to please that person.

What do you think?  Is holiness found through adherence to a rigid set of rules or through the fellowship with the Holy Spirit?

3 comments:

Jackie B said...

Short answer:

Holy Spirit.

Long answer:

I just read and was wrestling with this passage this morning! I ended up over in Romans 6, which spends more time on this topic.

I found it very interesting that God compares the law and freedom from the law to a marriage. When my spouse is alive, I am bound to him. If he would die, I am no longer bound to him and would be free to marry someone else without being considered adulterous.

I'm not sure I fully understand the analogy, but one thing stands out to me: there's still a standard of behavior we should try to live up to either way. I may not be bound to my first husband any more, but in being free to have a second I am still bound by some of the same attitudes - submission, respect, faithfulness.

Perhaps it is the same here. We are no longer bound to the law for salvation, we are bound to Christ for that. Either way, there is a certain standard God requires from us. I think the difference is that the standard is determined by our relationship with Jesus as understood through the Holy Spirit - rather than a bunch of rules in the Pentateuch.

Am I on the right track?

Garth Crundwell said...

Good thoughts Jackie. There is a standard of behavior that we MUST demonstrate. But the difference is the standard we live by is "prescribed" to us by the Word of God and directed in us by the Holy Spirit. The rules and regs that I was taught were "proscribed" by the church. In a couple of weeks we're going to look at Colossians 3 (check out that passage). In it Paul prescribes the way of life of a believer. It is a way of life that demonstrates Christ in me in very practical ways. It shows me my fault and then shows me how to overcome that area with Christ in me. Continue to pursue your "love" relationship with Christ. Allow the Holy Spirit the freedom to direct your thoughts and actions as you bathe your mind with the Word of God. Watch what he does in and through you in "conforming" you after the likeness of Christ.

Tim Griffiths said...

It's so funny to see this conversation because I too have been reading through Collosions and had this passage stand out to me as well. I feel like Paul is trying to teach us be led by the spirit, which is Christianese, I know. But, I think that we all have struggled with how to behave and what is permissable. I agree with you Garth that there is a Standard of behavior that as Christ followers we must adhere to, and I think that sometimes we can be "cheated" out of freedom in Christ by not relying on the Holy Spirit for guidance and listening to what society or even "self-righteous" people say we should do. like in verse 8-9


"-8 Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ. 9 For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily;"

Later he says that these man made rules - "are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh" v.23

God's word is clear on many things, and gives us a good picture on how to live, but our freedom in Him comes when we develop an intimate relationshiop with the Holy Spirit and listen to His guidance in our lives.

I love how Paul says that because we died with Christ, we are in a sense dead to the world and how it operates. We are made alive in Him by relying on Him for guidance in matters of conduct, and not just going by wht other peaople say. It is freeing to know that we just need to be led by the Spirit. Now if it were just that easy. Man, is it hard to only listen to God. Thankfully, God's plan was for us all to help each other. Good relationships with other believers that point us to Christ is crucial in keeping our freedom in Him. Even this blog post has helped me understand this idea better. Thanks Garth and Jackie-
Grace and Peace,
Tim